Saturday, September 27, 2008

Week 3: Completed!!

Thursday we went to the Museo del Baile Flamenco for my class. It was great! I learned a lot about the origins of flamenco and how it relates to Spanish history. Since we were visiting as a class trip, the director came to talk to us.

On Tuesday we went to the Fundación Tres Culturas, which is housed in the Pabellón de Marruecos, built for 1992 Expo by Morocco and then gifted to Spain by the king. While there we had a chance to see an exhibition, 8 Mujeres, 8 Países. It really made an impression on me. The women were from Peru, Italy, Cameroon, Egypt, Indonesia, South Korea, Spain and the United States. Each woman’s work displayed her portrayal of women in her country. They dealt with identity, liberation, oppression, religion, and more. I am hoping to return to the Fundación to visit the exhibit again and for other future events.

I am very excited for classes to start on Monday. My classes are as follows:
Anthropology: Intercultural Communication
Sociology: Social Justice and Community Service Practicum
Literature: Women Writers of the 20th Century
Literature: The Novel and Cinema – Two Ways of Telling a Story


**UPDATED:
I have decided to make a few changes to my schedule. Instead of the Novela y Cine class, I will be taking Contemporary Cinema. I have also decided to switch my Social Justice class for Spanish and Latin American Literature of the Margins. I will be taking the Social Justice class during the Spring semester instead.

Also, I just booked my flight for London for Thanksgiving. We're staying with my friend Trisha, and by 'we' I mean me and about six friends. :)

1 comment:

Nikki Lukas Longfish said...

awesome! that novel vs cinema class sounds very interesting.