Monday, January 26, 2009

Mt. Holyoke

Now that I have been on campus a few days, I am feeling a lot more relaxed. Today I met with the teacher's licensure program coordinator and she approved a class for me to take in Spain that will count for my licensure: Methodology of Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language. I'm glad because it will be the one class that is useful for me this semester since I have pretty much finished all my other credits that I need.

I also met with my Spanish professor and we talked about possibly doing a thesis. I was so convinced I was not going to do one, and now it seems like I am set up to start doing research soon! I have two main topics right now, both dealing with gender and power dynamics. The one I am going to try to do is looking at a Spanish short story that is based on a French short story which is based on an Italian short story! (Fewf, that's a lot to handle!) So my research would be in the three languages, truly a Romance Languages and Literature thesis, but the final paper would just be in Spanish. We're looking at about 100 pages. In case that doesn't go anywhere, I am leaving the idea from my seminar last semester on back burner. In that case I would be looking at gendered-violence again, a topic which I find very interesting.

We shall see what happens, but I will be starting to prepare for this during the coming semester, as well as taking five classes in Spain.

Wish me luck.

No comments: