Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Only in Spain

In light of the last post, I decided that I would keep an ongoing list entitled, "Only in Spain". This is a collaborative effort based on the experiences of some of the other auxiliares. I will continue to update it as the year progresses.

ONLY IN SPAIN...

1. Is it acceptable for the teachers at your school to pull out a liter of CruzCampo beer during recreo at noon before heading back to the classroom.

2. Is it normal to hear a professor say "shut up" to a student (a literal translation of cállate).

3. Do you have to dodge dog poop every step (it seems it's taboo that dogs actually have to poop - wow, really? No me digas!!)

4. Does te llamo ahora (literal translation: I'll call you now) mean that you can expect to receive a call sometime in the coming week... or not.

5. Does the man at the ticket window (whose job it is to sell tickets - claro) not know which bus is going to La Linea and therefore tells you to go ask every bus driver if their bus is going there. (Rachel)

6. Does hasta ahora, doesn't really mean until now, but rather, I'm leaving and I will return sometime in the "near" future. And just F.Y.I. "near" is all relative. (Rachel)

7. Can you really "make a night of it" - go out at 9pm and return home at 9am. :) (Nandi)

8. Can you buy half a dozen eggs, a huge loaf of amazing bread, three delicious tomatoes, parmesan cheese and an onion for under $5.

9. Does the following occur: "
When I went to the doctor yesterday I asked her if I had a fever, and she said, 'I don't know? You don't have a thermometer at home? You should buy one...' and never took my temperature." (Caitlin)

10.
Only in Spain would you go to the post office five times to figure out where your packages are, only to be told that it is not their responsibility to know, and then when you say you want to file a complaint, they reply that they want to file a complaint against you because you are so annoying. (Liz)

No comments: